September 22, 2010

Planning a wedding to remember...

While planning a wedding is a full time job and task in itself, the additional stress of wanting to make your wedding as memorable as possible can be an added challenge.  When I was planning my own wedding, I found myself asking the same question over and over again - "Will people remember my wedding as one of the best that they have ever attended?".   I thought of all of the little details, the monogram, the invitations, the favors, the decorations, MY DRESS, the attire of the rest of the wedding party, the flowers, the songs, the cake...  I found myself changing the colors and look of the wedding numerous times to have that "one of a kind" wedding that I was hoping for.  With a large guest list, I knew that we might not have the overall "WOW" reaction from every guest that I had been hoping for.  Becoming so frustrated with the whole question of having a memorable wedding, we even considered going to a tropical place and getting married without the huge guest list or fancy frills.  However, after much discussion of wanting to be sure that we could spend our wedding day with people who we care about, that option was quickly ruled out. 
I KNEW that we could make our wedding day as memorable as we wanted it to be by enjoying it, taking in the love of our family and friends, and most of all, being there for each other.  Weddings can soon turn into a competition with other weddings that you have personally been to, weddings that you have seen on TV, weddings that you seen in magazines or online.  It took me a little while to fully get a handle on this issue.  It really was me that was being harsh on myself and getting too focused on the details of a memorable wedding.  Yes, the thought still popped into my head from time to time, but in the end, I knew that it was something that I had to let go of and hope for the best.
We continued to every last detail, from the tissues for "tears of joy" for our guests with our initial on them, to having our original color theme be played out in every size ribbon imaginable, to the candles at the church, to the "Something Blue" on the bottom of my wedding shoes.


Then... the big day came and I wouldn't change it for the world. 

Our wedding was a huge success.  Everything came together and, even with the rain and the spot that I have wanted to have wedding pictures taken since I can remember turn into a muddy grass mess, it was perfect.  It was actually the "muddy grass mess" that made one spontaneous picture the most memorable part of our wedding that our guests love and still talk about - a group picture with ALL of our guests and wedding party next to the church.  Our photographer was actually hanging out of one of the church windows to get the shot.  It was perfect.  Nothing that I had originally planned on or even thought of, but it was perfect!

xoxo,

1 comment:

  1. This is great advice for future brides. It's so easy to get caught up in wanting your wedding to be "the best," but at the end of the day, as long as the wedding reflects who you are and allows guests to have a great time, it will be just perfect -- even if there are a couple setbacks.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...